Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

So I know that this book's been out awhile (okay, two years), and that it's received an enormous amount of hype (it's even soon to be a movie with Julia Roberts), but Eat, Pray, Love is truly is Something Else. Something Else meaning utterly, and eminently, readable. Perhaps it's where I'm at in my life, or my own questions about spirituality and this whole "God" idea, or both, but I read this book in one big gasp--not one big breath, but one big gasp. Like oh-my-god-I-need-to-read-every-sentence-or-I'm-going-to-miss-something-wise-and-amazing.  And it's not written in a way that thinks it's beautiful either--it's written in a way that's so natural, so flawed, even, that you know that this is someone's magnum opus--his or her Life's Work. Perhaps I'm getting too significant here, using all these capital letters and important words. But sometimes when you stumble upon a book (or when it's been pushed in front of you a dozen times, like this book was to me before I read it) that makes you gasp, you suddenly realize "Oh. So this is what I'm supposed to be reading." It's about love, it's about God and spirituality, it's about travel, it's about food, it's about depression. But what it's really about is just the fun of reading a brilliantly executed story--it's not perfect, no--but it's perfect in it's imperfection. It's perfectly Eat, Pray, Love. As Tina Fey's character on 30 Rock says, "I want to go to there." Read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment